Around these parts, we love our strawberry jam and adding a little bit of jalapeno makes it that much better.
Strawberry season lasts only a couple weeks in our area and you have to be on the ball and ready to do all the strawberry things when that time comes. First on the list is some strawberry jalapeno jam and this time we’re canning it in our steam canner.
Strawberry Jalapeno Jam
- 5-6 cups strawberries (2 quarts)
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 tbsp bulk pectin (or one box)
- 2-3 diced, seeded jalapenos
- Cut strawberries or place in a food processer. If you like a chunkier jam, just cut into pieces.
- Place strawberries into pot, add lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a slow boil.
- Add jalapenos to the strawberries as they are cooking down.
- Add sugar, stir and bring to a rolling boil that you cannot stir down.
- Once at the rolling boil, stir for 1 minute and then remove from heat
- Ladel jam into steralized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space
- Wipe the rims of the jars to remove any debris
- Put lids on and bands finger tight.
- Process in a waterbath canner or steam canner for 5 minutes
- Let sit 12-24 hours, check that the lids have sealed.